The goal of eating prior to exercise is to ensure adequate energy for the body during workouts and to avoid stomach upset. Keep the following in mind:
• Carbohydrates are the best choice.
• Eat a small meal or snack one to two hours before exercise to allow for digestion.
• Avoid foods high in fat, protein, and fiber which take longer to digest.
• Drink plenty of liquids for pre-exercise hydration.
Post- Exercise Eating Guidelines
• Focus on carbohydrate-rich foods to replenish glycogen stores.
• Eat carbohydrate-rich foods/fluids within one to two hours after hard exercise.
• 6-20 grams protein after two hours post-exercise should be enough to start repairing damage to muscle tissue.
• Eat at least 50-100 grams of carbohydrate (200-400 calories) within two hours of a hard workout.
• Drink plenty of fluids!